PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT standards? Am I paranoid
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2005, 09:27
MBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been reading this thread with a little bit of interest.

I have to say that I believe that common sense has to prevail.

If a pilot states 'rardar heading' instead of 'heading' it is doing no harm, the pilot is just informing the new controller that he/she is flying a vector given under a previous controlled service.

In terms of 'airfield information' or 'taxi inofrmation' I believe it is best to go with the latter as joining aircraft can also ask for 'airfield information'. This is why to save any ambiguity on either the part of the pilot or A/G operator it is best to use 'taxi information' and 'joining information' in my opinion. Common sense states that using this terminology maybe useful as the A/G operator maybe able to give a pilot more useful information such as noise abatements when joining or boogy areas when taxiing to a particular grass runway. I know it has certainly helped me in the past, especially when the A/G operators realises the aircraft through its callsign is a visiting A/C.

Also I think what we must realise is the use of INFORMATION and INSTRUCTIONS is at the heart of this argument - surely all pilots must know the difference. Therefore how you prefix these calls with a little common sense may help your cause and reduce some of the worklaod when arriving at a completly unknown aerodrome.

I know what I am advicating here is ever so sligtly different from what CAP413 states (I stress ever so slightly) and therefore maybe I am also advicating some changes to it. However even airlines and pilots make ever so slight changes to A/C manufacturers operating procedures. Common sense often helps us all.

I have to say I have also found in my expereince it is difficult to be a good pilot without any common sense!!!!! (this I learned a long time ago). I beleive in this case sticking to the rules rigidly can often result in recieveing less information than what could be offered and as long as the difference between INFORMATION and INSTRUCTIONS is clearly identified ther should be little confusion. I also consider slightly altering a call to add further information without doing no harm e.g 'Radar Heading' is off little concern. A little common sense in your radio calls can go a long way!!!! Just dont deviate to much to avoid annoying the controllers.

I also must add that I agree with DFC that under no circumstances should 'at your discretion' be used at an A/G station. Standard and competent R/T in the UK must always be a priority.

Many a happy landing guys, Regards.