PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEW Australian Airlines (AO) EBA 2005 (merged)
Old 15th Jan 2005, 06:06
RollzRoyce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Seatback 2,

Southwest are surly the best paid crew you are correct with that point. But you should also keep in mind that, the airline is probably one of the few airlines in the U.S. which is doing well enough to be able to offer their crew a decent pay. Nearly all of the Major U.S airlines have filed for chapter 11 Bankruptcy and they all in agreements with their staff for a wage cuts (probably lower that what LCC's are offering) etc. So I dont think the U.S market is a reasonable market to compare the Australian Aviation market to or in that matter to AO. If an airline is doing well then they can afford to pay thier staff. But since most are stuffed they simply can't afford to pay them. If Southwest is doing well its only because its a Low cost carrier, its satff are willing to earn less, however they still have a job that they can work for and earn an income when all the other airlines are all going bust. That is the actual reson behind why Southwest staff are the best piad in the U.S.

Regarding full service, I take that back...my mistake. However here are some facts you might be interested in:

The Australian Airlines Product
•Single class, full service leisure carrier.
•Cost savings will be achieved through a simple operating model for the airline including efficiencies with an aircraft fleet made up of one aircraft type, a single class cabin with a greater number of seats available (reducing the cost per seat), reduced cost of in-flight services, labour cost efficiencies and reduced corporate overheads.
•Wholly-owned by Qantas Airways Limited, Australian will have .separate management and will operate independently of Qantas.

The more complex an airlines get the more its costs them.

In regards to the pay problem...all I'am trying to say is I think 9% is a reasonable wage increase to AO crew given the fact that The entire QF group are also receiving it. And since AO is a part of the Qantas group what makes them so special?

Alright You helped them through out SARS (a major down time, the war and what have you), but dont forget Qantas staff also did the same.

What my whole arguement in my previous posting is If you are asking for anything additional, don't you think the entire QF group should also be entitled to it as well? Shouldn't you all receive the increase. What makes AO crew so special?

I agree with you when you said;

I don't think it's too much to ask for QF (via AO) to give back what some may rightfully suggest is 'the fruits of their success'.

It is lazy management that constantly look to their crew's wages for savings.
Yes, Qantas group management is profit driven, they are hungry B#####ds, but at the end of the day all businesses are profit driven and all the board gives a crap about is what goes into their pockets.

notice no-one has mentioned the 5-6 day trips in Sabah, where crew simply waited until the flight back to SYD, or the multi day trips to DPS.
Ok so now you are saying the 5-6 day trips in Sabah are inefficient. Well if they get rid of the 5-6 then AO crew will go on strike arguing that you dont get enough rest.
I'am sure they will address the issue that you have raised one day.

Me thinks, and correct me at will people, that many savings could be generated from reducing slip time through a more cost-driven schedule allowing cost efficiencies to occur in many other areas of the airline (ie. hotels, allowances, transfers).
Well I'am sure AO managment is dying to do that also but is probably worried from another dispute arising. You seem to be contradicting yourself. Doesnt slip times, hotels, allowances and transfers make up your work conditions? Any changes in these to reduce costs directly affects your work conditons. I dont think many AO crew will be happy with that decision. Don't you think so?

AO would VERY UNLIKELY be allowed to go bust, simply by way of the fact that QF has access to cheaper labour than it could ever possibly imagine achieving at Long Haul. Even with the demanded increases, AO is still cheaper by a mile because they are not themselves a legacy carrier with the associated historical background.
Actually if its not making any profit there is no point in running the airline just to keep its customers happy, neither will it be necessary or in that case significant for them to have access to cheaper labour because AO would no longer exist.

Last edited by RollzRoyce; 15th Jan 2005 at 06:22.