PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT standards? Am I paranoid
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2005, 23:26
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I am aware the UK is the only JAA country that requires pilots to hold a separate Radio Licence to use R/T in flight. It seems also to be the only country where a separate course and dedicated practical test must be performed in order to obtain an R/T licence.

In most other European countries we experience better R/T from GA flights despite English not being their first language.

The fact that microlight flying is on the increase in the UK can have no effect in itself on R/T because in order to use the R/T outside the training environment the pilot must hold an R/T licence and the training and standards required to obtain it are the same for a microlight pilot as for any other VFR pilot.

What is interesting however is that the UK gives IFR IMC privileges in controlled airspace to pilots without them having to pass IFR R/T.

Much more interesting is that the CAA will only give the R/T licence for free is the application is made at the same time as a PPL application or the pilot is already the holder of a PPL. This penalises a students who puts the work in and wants to obtain an R/T licence prior to obtaining the PPL.

Prior to JARs, many European countries required all pilots in command of an aircraft to hold R/T privileges i.e. a solo student would need an R/T licence.....perhaps we need to look at that idea.

Finally I bet everyone would be shocked to find out that a large part of the UK GA pilots do not hold any UK R/T licence despite flying G registered aircraft!

Regards,

DFC

PS - The worst R/T in the UK happens at the A/G airfields where pilots request taxi etc and radio operators frequently issue instructions or use the term "at your discretion" which is reserved for FISOs. Pilots operating or training in this environment have little chance!