PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet - pilot tested over the limit?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2005, 19:32
CrossBars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here we go again

Little did I realize when I suggested that airlines should implement breath tests as a counter measure against the recent years media hype about pilots over the limit. That there was such a fundamental reluctance and offence taking against this "civil rights violation" took me totally by surprise.

If someone would stop me at the next flight with an alcohol testing device and inform me that the airline had implemented mandatory breath testing before every flight, I wouldn't do much more than give them my contribution of air and get on with my job. I would probably say to myself; ok, well that makes sense, we are after all responsible for a lot of lives and our jobs demands that we are ready to deal with the worst possible scenario any day. I realize now that others would probably take this as a token of mistrust and violation of their personal integrity.

We, of different opinion, will probably not understand each other without getting to know one and other on a deeper level. To me giving a breath test is nothing; it's like walking through the metal detector on my way to the airplane or having my bag screened. I don't see it as a violation of my civil liberty; I see it as a safety measure in an environment demanding just that - safety.

There have been some posts suggesting that passengers should be tested as well. I agree that a drunken violent passenger is a safety issue but I don't think that you can or should have the same standards for people just riding along vs. the ones responsible for their safety.

Hand Solo - I don't lay awake at night worrying about what the public thinks of us but I'm concerned about the recent trend in public view on pilots under influence, frankly I think we all should be. You say that concern about the public view is not to regard when representing or running a certain industry - well all I can say is that I disagree. They pay for the tickets, in other words your salary, remember?

Danny - Personally I think you are being a bit narrow minded with your demands of evidence and reluctance to admit anything. But hey, maybe It's just me? Sure we can go on with the system we have now and have these kind of stories putting a bad stamp on the industry popping up every now and then. I guess the important thing is that you won't have to back down and give a 1 min breath test every day.

Well then, it’s Friday night! Now I'm off to get pissed with my friends and chasing chicks. I wish you all a joyful weekend.