Thread: Flying Ladies
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2005, 16:08
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moosp,

This will, I know, be controversial but I believe the reason that there are not many women aviators is that the majority of women are just not interested in it! Not necessarily any of your points 1 to 6 (although they might not help) but most women I know cannot understand why I would even want to fly, let alone fly a helicopter. Many can't understand why I ride a motorbike, drive a truck or play around with a Sunbeam Alpine.

I have had conversations along the lines of "You spend HOW MUCH per hour? You could buy a pair of Jimmy Choos for that!" Different priorities, definitely.

Most men I speak to envy me, most women don't understand! Personally, I have had more sexism from women than men not just in aviation but also my in respect of my degree (physics) and current career (accountancy). Most revolves around the "why haven't you got children" issue - apparently I am supposed to be unfulfilled and incomplete until I do have them!

However, for a lot of women, children are their top priority, if not only priority.

This may not go far in explaining Moosp's question; asking female pilots on here would not give true answers - maybe you should be asking women who are not pilots, why not? But, this is what I have found in my experience.

Cheers

Whirlygig