PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS 's to close (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2005, 14:02
DK338

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About time somebody reviewed the use and therefore the future of the UAS (and with it no doubt the AEF) system. I have believed for some time now that both are obsolete and should be withdrawn.

The argument that the UAS system is a valuable recruiting tool is specious to say the least; at no point do any of the armed forces need to actively recruit for aircrew. As you all are no doubt consumately aware, there is a seemingly endless queue of budding tyro's all eager for a stab at flying some military hardware. The UAS system does nothing but provide a cheap drinking club to students and a social life outside of the university campus at the expense of the tax payer. In my time I have encountered plenty of UAS Cadets both ex and current, and pretty much to a man they all agreed that the UAS was a damn good laugh but taught them nothing of the proper RAF and had no effect what so ever on their decision to join the Service. In fact most joined because they had to as it was part of their cadetship/Bursary Terms. Those that were not in the pay of Aunty Betty that wished to join, were already mad keen on the RAF and were looking to join eventually anyway.

Likewise the ACO have a no need to have access to expensive to operate aeroplanes to provide a 30 minute AEF to cadets. The VGS system already does this and what with the Grob 109 Vigilent, there is plenty of opportunity for powered flight, albeit in a benign regime. But then who said aero's should be part of an AEF profile? The ACO is a cracking organisationthat provides plenty of activities, flying being but just one element. From personal experience, I am amazed at actually how few cadets want to go flying and it would not be an untruth to say that I have seen occasions where ATC Sqns routinely fail to fill their flying/gliding quota.

The concept of the UAS as Trenchard saw it has long since been diluted to a shadow of it's former ideal and sadly in the context of a shrinking modern RAF and tighter budgets should be wound up forthwith.

I am aware that these views will be looked upon unfavourably by many, but then that's what I believe and I feel that if the RAF wishes to remain competitive then clearly a few sacred cows will have to be slaughtered.

What say you gentlemen?

Anyway, Battle bowler on and ducking below the parapit for cover.