PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What should i do next???
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2005, 11:13
yyzdub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skudrunner, if you're applying directly to the carrier, the reason you won't be getting a response is because, as mentioned, the recruitment of foreign pilots is generally done through an agency, however, these agencies will typically take those pilots that fit the profile of qualification and experience near to 100% as those set out by the airline/client.

I am not sure where you are getting your info regarding a Canadian license and Africa. The Canadian license is more than excepted in most countries in Africa, with the exceptions of say Kenya. Usually all that is necessary is a skills test, law exam and maybe a few other things but generally can be completed in a few weeks. I speak from personal experience. However, bear in mind that there is a problem obtaining airport red passes in Canada if you have worked in typical third world type countries. I don't know the "ins" and "outs" but there are a few threads on that subject posted on here.

As for the FAA ATPL... I would be hesitant to advise you going down that route. Why wouldn't you get a Canadian ATPL? The reason I say this is because there is a growing trend of countries shying away from FAA licensed pilots and focusing on JAA and ICAO (country specific, ie. New Zealand/ Australian, Canadian) licenses. A plus however about the FAA license is there are a lot of ferrying contracts for 'N' registered aircaft, but then again you would have to be type rated. Getting back to the agency thing... there are a lot of companies out there but be careful who you sign with. Yes Parc has a lot of contracts but they are a quantity company rather than quality, recently proven by their loss of an €8 Million Euro contract. Just do your research - best advice available.

If you are keen on working abroad why don't you look at Kenn Borek Air or maybe some of the non EU Eastern European countries. There are a good number of carriers looking for pilots. Also, China maybe a good bet - yes, there's not much happening at the moment if you don't have thousands of hours on type, however between now and 2010, China will be short upwards of 10 000 pilots, as they only can train 800-900 pilots a year with the facilities available. Now, people will probably jump on me for that comment but believe me, that is 100% fact!

I hope that might shed some light for you. There is work out there for someone with your experience - would be better if that time was turbine but look at companies like Thai AirAsia (they are getting a lot of new A320's and need pilots), Air Atlanta (Iceland), CX, etc, etc...

Best of luck

yyzdub

Last edited by yyzdub; 14th Jan 2005 at 14:19.