PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL / IR experience in the SW England
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2005, 00:08
mjc9967

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy peezy - Bristol is the one!!!

Call 01275 474601, ask for Joe McGrath. Go in and see them (on the south side of the airport, just by the entrance to Silver Zone parking), and make sure you meet Rowan Irvin and Nasib Otaqi.

I did my IR there starting mid July04 completed end Sept04, bit longer than it could have been due to some weather and my having a little break in the middle. Compared to some, 10weeks isnt too bad even without breaks!

Their normal way there is to do IR first then CPL. I think they find this most beneficial. Having said that I had my CPL from Stapleford first.

They have 2 FNPTII's and 6 Senecas there. Never any problem getting a plane, and since Rowan took over as Head of Training a few months ago the number of sessions per day per sim rose from 4 to 8! So with a total of 16 possible sim sessions a day not a problem anymore.

Joe is fairly strict at managing numbers so the place shouldnt get too crowded. He'll make you wait 4-6wks if need be, but its worth it when you get there.

Rowan and Nasib are the absolute dogs nuts with the instruction. There aint nothing they havent seen before or cant spot with whats going on your head when youre trying to do something.

At the time I was there, Rowan had instituted a system of having your aircraft instructor-to-be for the last 10 sim hours, giving a nice transition into working with the guy in the plane. I found that worked really well.

Leading up to 170A/test, Rowan is all over you like a rash! I saw people doing sims up to 2am if needed before test, and early morning practice flights on the day, if deemed to be beneficial.

I had a pm test and he took me up in the am to polish OEI NDB approaches which I felt shaky on, and we got it nailed.

Another point to note, the area CAA office that houses the CAA examiner who you need to take your initial test with is IN the Bristol Flying Centre building. The resident examiner, Graham Clifford, is there pretty much full time and is on hand for the odd question and just to get to know him throughout your training, so a lot of test day nerves can be removed.

Its not the cheapest shop for the IR, but not much over the cheapest. Definately best value for money. Extra grand or so over the cheapest you might see highly increases first time pass chances (in my view).

If you do IR first, then you may get better Spring VMC weather for CPL afterwards, and save 10hrs CPL instruction into the bargain.

By the way, make damn sure you do the 5hr Night Qual requirement before starting IR or CPL - I nearly came a cropper when it came to License issue because of that (not Bristol's fault, by the way!)

Good Luck, and hope you make the right choice!!