PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Semi-trained maintenance staff
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2005, 21:06
HOVIS

Received 87 Likes on 22 Posts
The difference between A&P and A&C/B1 is not the standard of Technician/Engineer but the responsibilities they hold. Under the US system, in my experience, maintenance decisions are taken by suitably qualified "inspectors" sat in an office at base. The A&P Mechanic can only raise deffered items/carry forwards with their say so. The A&P Mechanic acts as the eyes and hands of the Inspector. (On a line outstation anyway).

However a CAA/JAR/EASA licensed Engineer can certify almost anything at his own discretion as long as he remains within the bounds of the MEL/FIM/SRM/MM Etc.

The only clever bit is that the A&P Mechanic has less responsibility has easier exams to pass AND gets paid a damn site more than a A&C/B1.

To put it in perspective I know of several UK unlicensed technicians who learned the A&P exams off by heart from a CDROM. They then went to the 'states, passed the course and exams in less than a week (one bloke did it in 3 days!) came back and got jobs certifying US registered a/c.

Good luck to 'em I say!

I just wish I'd done it too.