PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet - pilot tested over the limit?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2005, 17:18
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"If there is one caught every year you can be certain that there is a whole lot more that dosen't get caught. And this is exactly how the general public sees this."
That's not true of the general public in the UK. They might think it's a widespread problem if they read Pprune and believe some of the claims made - such as yours. I'm not in a position to know if it's serious problem but, based on what my pilot friends say, it isn't.
"That's why it gets so much press etc."
No, it isn't. It gets Press coverage because it's easy to create a 'Shock horror! Hundreds might have been killed' story by claiming any pilot found over the legal limit was 'drunk'. There have been only two pilots prosecuted in the UK to date, and neither was 'drunk'.
"This has gone to the extent that I often get to hear semi jokes about how all pilots are drunks, and I'm getting pretty tired of it."
See above.
(If it continues, you'll get used to it. If jokes and ill-informed comments bother you, just be grateful you're not a lawyer. )

bjcc
” I arrested a pilot, turned out to be just over the drink drive limit, on his way into LHR one afternoon” and ” It is, Mr Mach79, evidence that there are pilot’s who were happy to fly when frankly they shouldn't have been.”
That’s quite a jump from one pilot to “there are pilots”.

No-one suggested you apologise for arresting a pilot. Mach’s suggestion was that you “appear to write with such relish, that you seem to have issues re pilots”. I’m not convinced it’s limited only to pilots but, with respect, you do tend to come across as someone who relished nicking people and miss it.

Why are you so reluctant to reveal how long ago you left the police force?
You frequently reminisce about events which occurred, and repeat (rather rigid, IMHO) opinions you formed when you were a policeman. You also frequently post what you understand to be the law. Since you choose to mention you were once a policeman in support of the opinions you express, surely it’s reasonable for people to ask when you were on the beat and when you left the police?
You’ve said it’s not relevant. Surely when the incidents which form your opinions occurred is relevant? ie Were they recently, or a decade ago? Or more?
The fact you were in the job when Z Cars was on television isn't much of a clue. The series finished about 26 years ago.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 13th Jan 2005 at 18:42.