PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2005, 11:28
swirlybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mama Mangrove, I am interested in anything you or any other Ppruner might know about 5N-BBS which crashed with Mike and Eugene sadly killed just over 2 years ago at the Brass Terminal.

You mentioned the final report, which is something I have been trying to get hold of. I was told that the Final report still has not been published. If you know otherwise I would much appreciate any info you have on how I could get hold of a copy.

I was very close to Mike but sadly due to the fact that I don't operate in West Africa the only information I am able to get hold of with regards to the accident are from friends that worked with Mike at Aero.

My current understanding is that the cause of the accident published in a draft of the final report is Tail rotor failiure on short finals to the Helipad at Brass.

The report apparently also states that the initial emergency which resulted in the turnback to Brass and a Mayday call from Eugene is unknown. (although they speculate that this was likely due to inadvertant selection of the floats in the cruise). For any AS365N2 operators reading this post- how likey could this be?

Apparently the report contains no reference to any of the eye witness/pax accounts or statements. Isn't this highly unusual considering that 8 out of the 12 occupants survived with minor injuries and were able to evacuate and swim away from the submerged helicopter?

Mike was a close friend and experienced Captain of the Dauphin helicopter at Aero in the region. Any rumours/news speculation that ppruners in Nigeria may have heard with regard to the accident/investigation would be much appreciated. Also please feel free to IM me if there is anything you do not wish to publish on the open forum.