PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Arann News and Rumours!
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2005, 19:24
eoinok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to be interesting how this whole PSO thing goes for RE.

I can picture it now "RE announced today the loss of 100 Irish jobs (wild guess!!) due to their failure to win PSO subsidies given to regional airlines that operate regional routes on behalf of the goverment. This has forced them to withdraw service on x amounts of routes. An RE spokesman said that the awarding of the PSO to BRITISH airways/ Air FRANCE/Fly BRITISH European etc has meant we have had to make 100 Irish people redundant"

Would be a political nightmare for Fianna F. Dont know if there is any elections both local etc coming up but it could be disastorous.
It would be seen as Irish jobs going to a foreign company.

Now, if Willie Walsh and the lads were to setup their new airline soon and were to run for these they might have some chance but the deadline is may I think so it would be too soon. Anyway, I dont think regional services like this are in their "charter" so to speak.......

I've no doubt the government as TTT has already mentioned have invited airlines to tender for it but I would reckon that this is only to put the squeeze on RE and get a reduction on the 19 million.

Stranger things have happen but RE will not loose these subsidies.........