PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Urban Myths
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2005, 18:42
Paul McKeksdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry but here the good will ends

What a complete load of b ks!

The engine operates on the principle of VELOCITY like every other damn jet engine in the aviation world. God knows where your profile comes from but if this is level of your technical knowledge then dont come knocking on my office door asking for a job!!!

The air is COMPRESSED by a COMPRESSOR (written large so you can read it) in order to provide a better package of air for the COMBUSTION CHAMBER where the COMBUSTION takes place. The resulting expansion of the gases within the COMBUSTION CHAMBER causes a high velocity airflow to inpinge a POWER TURBINE which turns the COMPRESSOR. After that any remaining energy in the gas flow would be ejected from the back of the engine as THRUST in a normal jet but in a helo it turns a FREE POWER TURBINE before exitting the EXHAUST.
So Mr Lappos engineer supreme, Heat is a necessary by product of combustion but one that destroys components therefore parts of the air are used to cool. If HEAT drove the engine we would want to run it untill melt down. Check your theory before you drivel here.
I thought that this was a professional pilots rumour network but you've burst my bubble.

At the end of the day the engine turbine temperature limitation exists at 795 degrees for the S-61 IRRESPECTIVE of the outside air temperature because thats the point at which the b y combustion chamber and the face of the power turbine would MELT. Even then on a high temp day you wouldn't be anywhere near your torque limitation.

Thanks for your prattle and search for Gas Turbine theory on the internet.