PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Ladies
Thread: Flying Ladies
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2005, 15:34
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newcastlepilot,

Glad you liked my post. As you can see, it's done no good whatsoever; we're now on page 4, and although no-one has yet referred to pink skies or cock-pits, they've covered pretty much everything else I mentioned.

I'm not sure about different areas/countries having more or less prejudice. I do know a couple of women who flew themselves to Corsica, and no-one could actually do any paperwork or let them leave for a while, because they wanted to know where the pilot was; they were convinced two women couldn't possibly have flown themselves across Europe!!!! But I'd hate to generalise from one incident.

Blind,

I too am heartily sick of women pilot threads. I can't believe it's even worthy of comment - in 2005, 94 years after the first woman got a pilot's licence, 60 years after the end of the 2nd Worl War when the women ATA pilots flew all types of aircraft all over the country, and 30 years after the Sex Discrimination Act came into being. But things take a long time to change.

As to not whinging about it, up to a point you're right. OTOH, pretending prejudice isn't there won't make it go away...ostriches can be seen. And, personally, I've stopped altering my behaviour to suit what people want or to create an impression...I don't care if it gets better or worse; I'll be me, do what I want, whinge if I feel like it, ignore it if that suits me,and to hell with the lot of them. Why shouldn't I? Why should I have to mind my ps and qs becasue I'm female? That attitude doesn't make me popular with either men or women, I know, but I'm past caring about that either. Maybe I've just been around this sort of thing too long.