PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Centralised Engineering At Lyneham
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2005, 14:34
spankedcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the point is being missed completely by al those that have posted on this issue. Yes, the Herc fleet has always been ‘centralised’, with the groundcrew being separate from the aircrew. Even when the two Groundcrew sqns, 24/30 eng and 47/70 eng, were formed when the J’s were fully manned in March 2001, it was never a true sqn feeling that is usually associated with the fast jet world.
The real reason behind the gripes is the change to our working environment.
The way we worked when we were two fleets, and both fleets worked the same system, is that in charge of the overall work carried out on the shift would be a Rectification controller. He would liase with the trade managers at the start of the shift as to the priorities to be worked, with regards to the flying programme, and any other ‘dead’ aircraft to be worked. The trade manager would then organise his troops to get the work done, with the trade manager themselves liase with the other trade managers so everybody would not be working the same aircraft at once. The TM’s themselves would also make sure that any ‘hot gen’ would be passed down to the troops and passed along to the other shifts. This system is very efficient at getting work done and also has the added benefit that when the guys & girls came in from one job, if the TM wasn’t around, they could quite easily look down the diary and get on with the outstanding jobs. This also had the added benefit at assessment time to comment on the troops leadership, common sense, blah, blah.
Manpower wise this method worked well when even stretched to the bone. A SNCO could get a flying programme of 6 aircraft servicable and get his trade diary clear in a night with only 3-4 others, it was a hard nights work but it was achievable.
So as far as SNCO manpower goes, there were two in Rect’s control, and on a good shift maybe 1 of each trade, possibly 2 sooties or riggers. That adds up to 6-7 SNCO’s on a good shift and in the 3 ½ years that J line was running this system, we never delayed an aircraft because of ‘lack of manpower’, and I am pretty sure that the rest of the RAF that uses this system has always managed to get the flying programme sorted, with delays due to lack of spares or crew outs.
Right, lets take this system, and without any consultation with the SNCO’s, Flt Sgt’s or wobblys, turn it on its head and make everyone miserable and demoralised!!!!
The system now is that that 1 SNCO is given an aircraft to run with whilst on shift (12 hours) in that time he is to be tasked by the Rect’s controller (1 x C/T), get manpower from the Manpower controller (1xC/T), and whilst he is out in his ‘trailer’, he is overseen by a line walker (1xC/T). The SNCO with the aircraft now has to ‘compete’ for manpower,(which by the way has now been reduced by a third) to get aircraft ready. Also when the book is handed to the SNCO there are the outstanding jobs that still need to be done from the last time it landed. There are lots of things wrong with this system, far too many and complex to go into here, but needless to say this system throws up more questions that any seniority has answers for, so how are you supposed to believe in an idea and sell it to those under you if the people in charge, you know who you are, do not believe in it.
Please don’t get me wrong, it is good to see a bit of change now and again, but when it all goes to rats droppings can someone please stand up and be counted!!!
I have never in all my RAF days seen a decision that has had such a dramatic effect on the morale and effectiveness of guys on the shop floor and as one or two people have mentioned, I too think it will take something drastic to highlight things to people outside Lyneham.
Please leave the fixing of aircraft to the aircraft fixers and the c**p management to the c**p managers!!!!