PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long landing roll (pax question)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2005, 08:11
Evening Star

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long landing roll (pax question)

Something that intrigued me a few weeks ago. Landing at DME with an air temperature of about -10, extensive snow cover and an apparently icy runway. Landing and slowing down was, understandably, very gentle. However, what interested me was that unlike the normal landings at DME I was not aware of much use (if any) of the thrust reversers, and only minimal use of spoilers. Forgive an interested pax asking what may be a dumb question, but I presume this was due to the particular conditions. What are the braking arrangments for a landing like this? I am presuming it is rather like driving on ice, which is basically do nothing sudden, so to stop it is sometimes just best to drift gently to a halt without much use of brake.

Another aspect of that landing was during the taxi there was, for a while, a noticeable smoke haze in the cabin, sufficient to cause comment amongst some of the passengers. Explained to Mrs ES (who is a very nervous flyer at the best of times) that the haze was residual oil from the APU, which seemed the most logical non-dramatic explanation. Was I right?