PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Semi-trained maintenance staff
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2005, 15:30
Just an Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We should all be concerned over the slow fall of standards for a variety of reasons. Safety is of course the primary reason however there is also the incidental point of salary.

You cannot complain over the years about declining worth of salaries and then miss the point of lowering standards as these points are linked. Years ago when Apprenticeships were disappearing due to their high costs the question of maintaining adequate number of qualified engineers in the industry was much talked about. How do you think they solved it...?

Clue: We are talking about it.....

I don't think that having a JAR license instantly makes you a better technician. I agree that it is harder to obtain the JAR66 over the A+P, but just because you have to study harder to obtain the license...

Why is then that certain countries only accept UK Licenses (with all the extra costs that involves), even though we supposedly have a pan european licencing system ?

It’s undoubtedly because if they employ somebody with a UK license they know they are getting somebody who generally (I use that word as a caution because as above there are of course tw@ts in any country/License system!) has a higher standard of knowledge and experience.