PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Semi-trained maintenance staff
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2005, 09:36
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to modern times!

A friend was telling about her nephew in Germany who was very lucky to be accepted for an apprenticeship as an automotive technician.

Nowadays the field is called 'mechatronics' I believe, since with modern cars you need to know a lot about trouble-shooting digital logic systems. For instance a lot of cars now use `single-wire´looms rather than the good old bundle of spaghetti I knew how to fix.

And when I tipped over my BMW motorcycle it triggered a fault in the ABS braking system that required a reset using a computer diagnostic system, since the wheel speed had differed between the front and rear wheels. This was read as a logic fault by the control unit; I didn't have a clue what was going on. I just went on my nose, picked the bike up and... no more ABS! WTF?

The German kid didn't have good marks in school. Used to be that meant you ended up as a `grease monkey´. Nowadays it means you usually won't make the grade learning to work with modern automotive systems, which are often ahead of comparable aircraft systems. (Part of the reason for this is the much higher levels of reliability and safety required for aircraft systems.)

I know of a few guys who have dropped out of aviation to work on cars. More money, better terms and conditions and waaaay less responsibility.

As a pilot my hat is off to aircraft maintenance technicians, actually. I started off in the US Army as a mechanic before realising that it mean less work/more fun/more money to be a pilot. Plus, I was a pretty crap mechanic!