PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 160 until 4dme @ EGKK
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2005, 09:24
THOMPSONFLY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies especially HD! To be honest I only started this thread to get some answers and not abuse.

I was flying into LGW the other night in bad conditions(yes HD I am a pilot and not someone who wanted to be one- I give as good as I get!!!). Five aircraft including ourselves had to do a mandatory go around due to receiving windshear warnings generated by the aircraft. On both approaches the controller at the time was asking for 160 til 4. Three out of five aircraft on the approach told the controller that we were unable to comply. You could hear the frustration in his voice, he asked us what max speed we could do etc. Our reply was 150kts. He then came back and asked us if we could do a litttle bit more and advised us to inform him earlier in future. I should have packed my crystal ball.It's hard to predict what the approach is going to be like until you are on it and after all you do not want to decrease the ever important flow rate.

Being an ex- controller HD, you of all people would know that aircraft are very hard to slow down, the pilots should stabilise the aircraft in the landing config by 1000' agl and that flaps have limit speeds which activate a flap load relief system if exceeded.

If you put the above into context, if you fly 160 til 4 especially in turbulence with +/-20kt shear you will probably bust the flap limit speed (we did) and if you want to slow from 160kts at 4d to your final appr speed, you will have just over half a mile, 300ft or 25secs to do so. Which I consider not safe.

Also,I think that controller workload would have been greatly reduced, if the five aircraft that went around at minimal spacing were not at minimal spacing? As all the aircraft were probably at different weights therefore different clean speeds! We got so many different headings and speeds it was unreal but he did get us down!Thank you.

Coming back to bonuses etc, I was only asking~! Several people at LGW have told me that controllers get bonuses if they meet certain targets. I only ask this as there are incresing amounts of land after's!!!!!

Thank you for your time in replying, it has been helpful.