PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2005, 15:35
Hampshire Hog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now listen folks,

Please don't think that in my 'first solo' inspired post I was suggesting anything close to overconfidence. I first took up flying because I was scared of it! Safety is everything to me (you should see how carefully I check the aircraft) and I have no intention of deliberately straying into cloud - sim experience or not. I guess my point was that many instructors criticise sim pilots for constantly looking that the instruments rather than outside. After entering cloud instruments are necessary and I suspect those same sim pilots are more used to looking at them.

Having said that, I was comfortable with the situation because I absolutely trust my instructor. He is a retired 747 captain with thousands of hours of experience on aircraft dating back to the end of the war. If I find myself in cloud with him sat next to me - I have every confidence that he can get me out of it.

I have no intention of exceeding my capabilities (and I am all too aware that 1 circuit does not a flying career make).

Nonetheless, you were all absolutely right to make the point and put my slightly ill judged comments in their place.

HH