PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job losses at Virgin
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2001, 19:20
K13 + K9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Its the same old story again.

Panic on routes over the pond, lets get rid of the more costly aircraft (Should have planned that earlier instead of getting more.), and those who operate them. (Great if your in the accounts department)
Are managers that stupid to lose many highly trained personnel, some of whom have been with the company since its early days and have chosen to stay on the Classic.
The answer I think is Yes because if it was not the Pilots, Engineers and Cabin Crew it would be those who through poor management decisions have helped place the company in its precarious position.
I know things have changed in the past week (My sympathies are a matter of record.)but there is an underlying problem that has been there for some time, and needed rectification long ago.

Last In and First out should apply, but only after other methods of voluntary severence have been explored.
To Chop a whole fleet without consideration to Seniority is an act of folly, usually initiated by persons who are not themselves at risk, and is a short term measure, without long term planning.
How much will it cost to send these crews on their way, surely there would be savings by the last in first out method, and the difference used to retrain the Classic fleet personnel.
Will the Classic fleet management be going too ???.

I am sorry for those who will lose their jobs, for whatever excuse the management use, but there are better ways to approach this problem, and better persons than I to negotiate a satisfactory outcome.