PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vacated Level Reports
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2005, 10:00
Uncommon Sense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I posted above it just sounds like a stuff up, and is being fixed but who knows how long and which AIRAC cycle it will come up in.

Really makes you wonder how stuff like this gets right through to print stage without someone operational getting to say: "WTF?"!

In practical terms (this is just my personal view BTW) , if you are already radar identified and MODE C verified I really don't care what level you are leaving/passing - telling me has no consequence except to use up more comm time.

If I REALLY need to know (i.e. I want a reported level as opposed to a MODE C readout which lets me climb/descend you or someone else quicker) I will ask - [in case you are wondering relying on MODE C only can require up to another 800FT of airspace to open up.]

Now if you are really bored this is why:

Verification of Mode C data
2.2.10.2 The accuracy of Mode C derived level information displayed to the controller shall be verified prior to its use, or re-verified in instances where it has not been subjected to continuous monitoring.....
...../

2.2.10.4 Subsequent adjacent radar control positions shall accept that Mode C verification has taken place unless otherwise advised by the transferring controller.

2.2.10.5 The controller should obtain level reports as necessary to verify the Mode C level information.

.../...

Mode C data
2.2.10.9 When vertical separation is determined solely by Mode C data, the readouts shall be continuously monitored for the period necessary to ensure that the appropriate separation standard is not infringed.....

.../...

Determination of level occupancy
2.2.10.13 Verified Mode C derived level information may be used to determine level occupancy as follows:
a. Maintaining a level. An aircraft is considered to be maintaining its assigned level provided that the Mode C derived level information indicates that it is within plus or minus 200 FT of the assigned level;
b. [b]Vacating[/b[ a level. An aircraft cleared to leave a level is considered to have commenced its manoeuvre and vacated the previously occupied level when the Mode C derived level information indicates a change of 400 FT or more in the anticipated direction from its previously assignedlevel;
c. Passing a level in climb or descent. An aircraft in climb or descent is considered to have passed a level when Mode C derived level information indicates that it has passed this level in the required direction by 400 FT or more;
d. Reaching a level. An aircraft is considered to have reached the level to which it has been cleared when three consecutive renewals of Mode C derived level information have indicated that it is within 200 FT of its assigned level.
..../....

Last edited by Uncommon Sense; 9th Jan 2005 at 10:31.