PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tsunami Disaster Relief - More photographs
Old 8th Jan 2005, 10:29
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tsunami Helicopter Loading?

I am watching the relief effort on the TV and I am confused and annoyed at the operation of the helicopters that are there.

Every machine I have seen, is being hand loaded and then manually unloaded by the military and volunteers.

For every helicopter there is a line of 10 to 20 guys handing boxes to each other in the most slow and ineffective manner possible. How long does it take to load a Blackhawk in this manner and WHY?

What is wrong with the military that they are not slinging in these supplies?

Most machines carry more externally; you place the nets on the ground, a forklift or men load it in minutes and you carry it on your chosen length of line.

Safer, faster and more productive. Obviously you won't go as fast but is that a real issue.
I figure it is just the military being unable to perform external load work of this nature effectively.

Make some room military boys….let us pro's in.

ADDITIONALLY; what is happening out there?

Any companies you work for been approached to supply hardware or skills over there?

FACT: It is Canada's off season and there are more bush veterans in the country available right now, than in the rest of the world combined. The HAI meeting next month should be a ghost town but I bet it is barely affected.
Pilots in all of Canada represent the best of the world and there must be hundreds of potential pilots and machines that could respond if needed.