PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Language
Thread: Swiss Language
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2005, 01:09
flufdriver

Whatever happens,.. happens!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a Swiss who'se been living outside of Switzerland for a long time and having had to adjust to many different societies, I find it quite amusing to read about foreign nationals living or planning to live in Switzerland and the perceived travails they may face. Whilst I will admit that many of my compatriots can be a bit narrowminded, I find that Swiss people are in general very accepting of foreigners in their midst unlike many places that I have had the (dis)pleasure to visit in my 35 plus years of being a vagabond.

In earlier days it would always have been expected that any foreigner would be able to communicate in the national language of the country s/he happens to seek employment. I guess in the technical side of aviation we are lucky in this respect.

One good thing about most european languages except for english is that most words are pronounced the way they are written.

Nowadays, when I visit my home country I find that the percentage of Swiss-Swiss is declining at a considerable rate in the Cities, which is ok with me since I consider myself a global citizen!

Hopp-Schwyz!