PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced to retire at 55
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2005, 16:55
Gunner B12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 55 issue is a red herring. Take care to separate 'retirement' from being 'required to leave a company'.

The BA contract requires to leave the company at 55; they are then free to either not work any more (if they can afford it) or look for another job (if they need to).

There are many comapnies that have 'benefitted' from the experience brought by ex BA golden oldies on their own personal top up scheme.

It seems to me to be disingenuous to want to stay on at BA (with however many years seniority and increments) and deny the flow that the seniority system is built upon.

Move along Claude, and let someone else have a crack at the senior jobs !!

Please get over it

I had typed a much longer version but it crashed when I tried to post it.

Talk about ageist and discriminatory. just because a contract forces the employee "to leave the company at 55" doesn't make it right or get the company around the fact that the contract is discriminatory. If the young guns can't take the jobs away from the oldies by ability then they don't deserve them. which other industry has such draconian rules.

Perhaps we should apply this to other professions? but it's amazing how many people (for example) preferr to see an older doctor than the young whizz kid who knows all the latest tricks. I for one preferr to fly with an older (and by association, more experienced) pilot, any day. Other countries and companies have older allowable ages but don't seem to have increased problems attributable to age so what is the basis for this discrimination? Especially as other companies are benifiting so much from this wasted experience.