PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solenta forcing pilots to return to Abidjan
Old 7th Jan 2005, 10:08
airborne123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Colleagues

Whilst I appreciate some of the various concerns that have been raised with regard to the above
matter, we cannot lose sight of the fact that we are running a business at Solenta Aviation.

This requires that the management team and I have to make decisions that ensure that we meet
our contractual obligations and, thereby, decisions that ensure the retention of current and future
aircraft contracts, the employment of all staff including yourselves and the going concern of Solenta
Aviation. In this decision making, at no time would we consciously make decisions that directly and
intentionally prejudiced your safety and well being.

During the term of our operation in Ivory Coast, there has never there been total stability and
tranquillity, so it is difficult to define a precise measure of “normality”. The first of the “unrests”
happened several years ago under Rossair ATR42 and Solenta C208B days. Since then we have
operated successfully from ABJ for several years. So many different sources on the ABJ situation
offer their own opinions, often differing, depending on their intended audience.

We accept that the unrest that occurred in Ivory Coast in early November 2004 cannot be fully
understood by anyone who was not there and who did not personally experience what was endured
by so many of our staff. However, we do believe that the situation has returned to “normality” and
that businesses can safely deploy staff there and continue business in the interim, indefinitely until a
new situation may arise, whenever this might be. Several businesses are already operating,
including DHL, our client. In addition, several new safety measures have been activated as
previously explained to prevent, protect and mitigate a similar situation from reoccurring. These will
be in place and are planned to be fully complete and operational by 31 January 2005.

Fifty percent (50%) of our ATR42 contracts are based in ABJ and are required to operate from
there. This similarly means that the same 50% of all our crews and engineers employed for the
ATR42’s are employed specifically to fly and service these same aircraft and contracts.

In light of this, as a company, we will be returning to operate out of Abidjan, Ivory Coast, effective
3rd January 2005. All employees – crew, engineers and support staff – are required to be available
to report to duty, as rostered and contracted, on this date. No exceptions can or will be made. Should you therefore personally decide not to be available and accepting of the terms of your
employment contract to report to duty as rostered and required operationally, you need to return to
Johannesburg on this same date (or remain in Johannesburg, if currently out of the field).

We will unfortunately deem you to be unwilling to continue with the work you were employed to do
and therefore you will be in breech of your employment conditions and employee code of conduct.
We will have no alternative but to seek suitable replacement employees accordingly with immediate
effect.

I believe all our staff to be hard working, loyal, and trustworthy employees, who are committed to
this company and its success, and willing to contribute at all times to the best of their ability. That
said there will be times when our objectives and requirements might diverge, and unfortunately this
might be one of those times. I sincerely hope not, however, for the majority of you and Solenta
Aviation.

In light of the above, this memo must not be read as a threat or a plea from our side. This is a
difficult position for all of us and we would rarely otherwise find ourselves in this situation of
enforcement of contractual terms – as employee to employer, or employer to employee.

I understand that a number of you might, at the end of your own deliberations, decide that you are
still not prepared to return to ABJ. Operationally we will be affected but we will need to ride the
storm none the less.

This is a difficult position to enforce but I am left with no alternative. Whilst I understand and
empathise with your personal views and concerns, the company can no longer accommodate and
change the rostering, routes or permanent bases, to suit individual specific requirements. I believe
we have been accommodating, understanding and patient for as long as practically possible.

For those crew and engineers already committed to returning on 3rd January 2005, I thank you for
your cooperation and trust. For those who decide not to move, we respect this decision and trust
that you respect ours.

This memo supercedes all previous correspondence, positions and commitments concerning this
matter from the company and its directors.

Yours faithfully

MARK HURST
MANAGING DIRECTOR