PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2005, 08:46
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations, Hampshire Hog. Good to know we have another pilot in our midst.

Maybe we should use carb-ice more. I have always tended to keep carb-heat on for longer than typically taught (especially on final) for two reasons. First, when you think about how long it takes to melt a block of ice with a hair drier, the 10 seconds of carb-heat many instructors encourage is almost certainly inadequate and, secondly, there are a load of factories under the approach to our runway 24 and I'm not planning on landing on them any day soon
Bloody hell; who's telling you ten seconds is enough? While there are many, many different views on use of carb heat, and a thread I started a bit back if you want to do a search and read some of them, one thing is certain - 10 SECONDS IS DEFINITELY NOT LONG ENOUGH. Thirty seconds is more like it. And a little too much carb heat won't do any harm, unless you're trying to climb. Why, why, why do some instructors do this? What do they have against carb heat? If in doubt, use it.