PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S/A, Airmanship and Professionalism?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2005, 01:41
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is part of the problem is knowledge?
Without a doubt Uncommon sense!

I have made 5 or 6 trips to the Melbourne Enroute Centre in the last 4 years all part of the famil with newbie F/O's.

On one occasion was I given the opportunity to "plug in", this did prove a most valuable experience. I was able to not only see the processes taking place, but see how each controller interacted with each other. It has definately given me an insight in how to gain optimum performance from the sytem and to help out whenever possible.

Sometimes the words used in a transmission are a subtle hint to speed up, slow down, expedite descent, etc.. Controllers do have there hands tied in some respect with what they can ask a crew to do.

I must say though, my company has offered "famil flights" to controllers for about 2 years now, I have yet to see anyone take up the offer. If any ATCers from Melbourne are interested in a "famil flight" please feel free to PM me.

Super Cecil,

While I agree in principle with your comments, I think you mean 200 hour instructors (well more than likely 300 by time they reach that stage) training the next batch of up and coming hopefuls.

Most low hour instructors I have met have good knowledge, what they may not have is the experience (read "life/working" experience, not total hours), to truly understand, or teach either Situational Awareness or Airmanship.

This is definately not intended as a dig at the instructor fraternity, I mean, I would'nt be where I am now without them!!

Cheers, HH.