PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast jet pilot. How to get to be one.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2005, 20:50
Jucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As somebody who was in your shoes not so many years ago, who has gone through flying training and been an ACLO, I have seen the process from all sides of the fence. The advice on this thread is all good. Determination is the key, you must be absolutely 100 % committed if you are serious about becoming a military pilot.
Don't worry about gaining flying experience too much as the military like to teach, it's way. Believe me, I had over 350 hours of PPL time under my belt when started EFT and it didn't really help or hinder me. Flying training is a great leveller.
Do concentrate on your academics aim for the best possible you can achieve, if this means getting a maths tutor, do it!
Do concentrate on extra-curricular actives, team sports, Air Training Corps, DoE etc.
Do keep up to date with current affairs combined with a good knowlege of geography find out what is going on in the world and where these places are and how the might affect Britain and it's Armed Forces. (You might find yourself being deployed there someday)
Do have a good knowledge of the service you are applying for find out about the platforms they use what weapons systems these platforms employ and the various roles these platforms may have. Also where they are based both in the UK and abroad.
Trying to balance academics against extra-curricular means yoy will have to manage your time carefully, this is a very important Officer skill. All too often I have interviewed straight A students who don't really have any hobbies or sport, so they aren't really much use, and other people who participate in loads of sports and activities but neglect their academics. A good sign of Officer potential is somebody who can balance both.
Do contact your local AFCO as soon as possible and get yourself an interview, this way if you have weak areas the Liason Officer will be able to identify them and give you advice on how to improve on them. Better do it sooner rather than later.
Do look at the Fleet Air Arm as well they are recruiting a lot more pilots next year. However the Fast Jet standard in the Navy is extremely high and you are more like to become a helicopter pilot. That said you do have opportunties in the Navy to cross over from rotary to fixed wing, and lot of RN FW pilots flew RW before crossing over.
If you like what you see do apply to both services at the same time, it shows that you are really serious about becoming a military aviator, and if nothing else all the interviews will be good practice.
Do aim to join after you have completed A-levels as we need younger pilots on the front line. However the recruiters may decide you do not have the maturity to join at this stage and may suggest you would be better suited to going to University. If this happens pick a degree that you know you will enjoy and pass well, i.e. if your not good at maths don't do engineering! If you decide you want to join after your A-levels fill out UCAS forms anyway as a back up plan. Pick Unviersities that have a UAUS/OTC/URNU.

Hope you find this advive useful if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Best of Luck!

Jucky