PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Ladies
Thread: Flying Ladies
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2005, 16:40
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having trained my share of men and women, I can assure you there is little emotional difference. I trained a male group from a very macho country and found the blend of testosterone and ego was as emotional a mix as the cockpit could stand. Even the gentlest correction was seen as a slight upon the trainee's manhood, so virtually all cockpit communications were tailored to keep commo open. I had one fellow lose control in an emotional snit while in a 42,000 lb helo at 150 knots, and another pair got in a pushing contest while on a training hop. It was a horrendous experience, but I don't see us ever comment on this type of male problem.

A simple example: one student got a bit slow on a single engine running landing, so I gently said, "Very good! Perhaps next time, you could try to be about five knots faster?"
To this obvious slur on his manhood, the trainee replied, "But I WAS five knots faster!"

It seems to me that humans have emotions and hormones, and we must learn to deal with that, regardless of the gender of the human.