View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2005, 22:00
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I'll be the first brave enough to have a go at answering this:-

YES and NO.

I did my PPL full-time. At four days, I was under a very high workload; everything was new, I had a lot to learn, it was going badly, I couldn't hover the bloody thing to save my life. It was that time. I decided I needed clear my head so I went out on my motorbike for a ride. I dropped it. In 20 years of riding a motorbike, I had never dropped it. Until then. I went back to my aircraft, even more stressed as I had the ignominy of having some bloke pick up said bike for me and I was on the verge of tears.

I didn't let my instructor see me in that state so I left. However, he probably knows about it now!!

BUT

Now, it's not a problem. I think it only matters when other stress levels are high. I do know of a woman airline pilot who manages to gets rostered in a particular pattern to avoid this.

It's different for all women and it is this that men must realize and it can be different for the same woman at different times. But it always a consideration when I go flying as sometimes the feeling of having your innards ripped away can be a bit much! And the backache. And the headache. And the increased body temperture. And the overflowing oestrogen. And the....er... bladder issues. But, other than that, hey, it's a breeze

Cheers

Whirlygig