PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air GF236 AbuDhabi-Muscat - jan 4 , 05
Old 5th Jan 2005, 20:24
Bu7abes50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gulf Air GF236 AbuDhabi-Muscat - jan 4 , 05

I would like to share an occurance purley as an aviation enthusiast who was quite alarmed when it happened.

Flight was GF236 abu-dhabi to muscat on Januray 4, 2005 (A320). A minute or so after being airborne the pilot suddenly and drastically reduced power and the aircraft felt as if it was descending ,2 seconds later he applied full power and then again right away reduced power and finnaly reverted back to full power.

He also seemed to make a full turn as if going back to the airport. Here is where it gets very interesting. On landing at Muscat and while walking down the staircase I heard a lowed and unusual noise coming out of the right hand engine. The noise sounded like some metal peice was stuck between the fan blades and making a crunching effect as the blades continued to turn during engine shutdown.

One of the ground staff had a torch light and was curiously examinig the front and back side of the engine casing.

For those who can shed a light on this flight, Iam very curious to know what went on. I fly alot on the A320 and I have never went through a flight like this where the captain just about a minute after takeoff significantly reduces power then back up then again back down then up... seemed as if for a moment the engines were out of control...

Thanks