PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad News CATC March has fallen thru
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2005, 11:25
Ops and Mops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scotsliveit

I think you need to re-evaluate your attitude before you start at CATC.

Air Traffic Control is all about being part of a team and there is no room for elitism. (Banter yes, elitism no! )

Every ATSU from Sumburgh to LACC is challenging in it's own way and you will make a lot of enemies for yourself along the way if you alienate everyone outside Swanwick before you even start at the College! The salary paid to ATCO2's at Swanwick is not as great as it sounds as the cost of living warrants the higher rate, and there is no "weighting" allowance as there used to be in London! There are many ATCO 3's at regional airports who enjoy a better standard of living than the ATCO 2's daaan saaarf due to the relative costs of living.

An ADC/APR course will stand you in good stead to work at any NATS unit in the United Kingdom except ScOACC (when TC moves to Swanwick that is!).

As far as getting your family sorted, until you are valid at an operational unit, you future is far from secure. However once valid, the chances of compulsory posting these days are slim unless your units role is moved to another unit (a la Manch to ScOACC and LATCC to Swanwick). You just need to ask the many Airport Controllers who do want a posting but cannot get one!!

If you want to go to work everyday to be busy and pushed right to the limit, Heathrow are constantly on the look out for controllers (Tower only) and there is an ongoing recruitment drive for valid ATCO's to transfer there. As has been mentioned before, there is also an ongoing trawl for valid experienced Airport ATCO's to retrain as Area Controllers.

You're right It's wiser to get valid in as many things as possible and perhaps transfer to area later (but that's five years after validation then taking a pay cut to retrain)
Not sure where you get your info on for taking a pay cut to retrain. If you move from an ATCO 3 unit to do the Area Course it is actually a promotion and you take a pay rise on transfer to the ATCO 2 scale when you start the Area Course! You dont go back to student pay!!!!

I'd really appreciate some more info on my prospective payscales now.
Still expect to earn over £35k including shift pay when you come off the T & D scale at an ATCO 3 unit. Expect the same as Swanwick on the ATCO 2 scale.

Also have I gone from keeping planes apart and to just directing airplanes (on the ground) around the airport and if I'm lucky getting to do approach as well (where the planes are actually in the air)
Again I think you need to re-appraise yourself with the roles of Air Traffic Controllers. If you want all the gory details, have a look at Sections 1 to 4 of Manual of Air Traffic Services Part 1.

Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt but I think that in your current mind set you are doing yourself a grave injustice in your future career.

Feel free to PM me