PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA considers night helicopter flights review
Old 4th Jan 2005, 21:35
PO dust devil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did NVFR have anything to do with the circumstances of the fatal MPT crash at Gladstone a few years ago or the MPT NVFR crash out of East Intercourse Island five or so ago? I can only vaguely recall all those details.

I can think of another MPT NVFR crash of an otherwise serviceable IFR capable Puma approaching an LNG tanker near Dampier as well.

So that's three more NVFR accidents that I can toss in off the top of my head.

What's so wrong with our industry, just not operating routinely in such marginal conditions. You can't (or are unwise to), bowl around in poor visibility, skirting in/out/around unseen cloud, without sight of the ground or water during day ops. So why is it commercially and insurably acceptable to do it at night.

If it's a matter of commercial imperative just think of some of the other ways to achieve tasks. You can't weld on a gas platform, You can't get a pub counter meal after 8pm, what's the drama with operators saying,"Sorry, these night VFR flights have proven to be dodgy and we like having you as clients so we WON'T put you at risk. I'm sure you, your family and connections, will appreciate this".

My two bob's worth

DD