PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad News CATC March has fallen thru
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2005, 17:30
Vlad the Impaler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of you who are gutted about the March course need to take a step back, take a deep breath, get somebody close by to smack you hard around the face and then listen to this.
Area control is where it all happens, Area control is where the future is for NATS, Area control is where the money is.
Area control is damned hard work. Probably little more than half of you who start an area course will make it to validation. I went through in the days where you did aerodrome before you were streamed into approach or area. I went the area way which was what I wanted, got posted to TC after college which was what I wanted and then didn't make the final hurdle to validation. I was lucky, I already had an aerodrome ticket to fall back on and now I am happily valid at a busy london tower, If you fail the area course then you will not have that luxury. The aerodrome course ain't that tough, The approach course is more taxing (although I never did it !) but again not nearly as intense as area training. Yes, you may get poked all over the country on the airport side (Any of you guys ever hear of the scottish centre ?).
BUT
Many approach students get sent to TC to do a very fulfilling and demanding approach job (unless you get luton). The money at the smaller airports is not as good, but there are far greater opportunities for early promotion at a smaller unit. After four years valid (five if it is an ATCO 2 unit) you can get transferred to another unit (including an area course if you so desire) and try your hand at something new.

STOP PRESS
aerodrome control is fun !!!
You get to look out of the window all day and SEE the aircraft that you control, It does get busy, it is fulfilling and it still pays better than most other jobs.
You are still getting paid to train, you will be valid at least a year before your area colleagues and you will probably live significantly longer.........
I feel that you are making a grave mistake if you turn down this course on the basis of the experience that you have so far....NONE.
Go on dive in.
I promise you'll love it.
Don't come crying to me when you have failed ACS 2 for the second time, feel like an atco but are totally unemployable as one.

Think about it kids.
If you really want ATC as a career then really, really think about it.

cheers
V