PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - which books ?
Thread: which books ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2005, 16:57
greeners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done for getting your licence sorted buzz, and best of luck with the FIC. Where are you doing yours? I certainly found it the most fun of the courses.

I know Cambell is regarded by many as gospel but I found it very dry. I was fortunate enough to have the notes from a number of colleagues who had done the course over previous years, but the advice from Rod Jarvis was very clear - DO NOT complicate the issue by reading different ways of doing the same thing. He argued that a good instructor (and Rod is clearly one of the very best) will teach you exactly what you need to know. I confess that I had my doubts but with hindsight I feel he is completely correct.

Make sure your prep time instead is used ensuring that you are completely comfortable explaining the basics in detail. Met - why are we having this weather today, and what will happen tomorrow based on the synoptic? What items on the TAF might prevent you sending a stude off on a QXC? Air Law (guaranteed questions) - requirements for PPL renewal versus revalidation? What will your new privileges be as an FI(R)? VMC vs VFR? PofF - derivation of glide range formula? 6 factors affecting stall speed, and how?

Only additional advice I would give if you are doing a concentrated course is to make sure that you keep the earlier trips in mind; re-pattering a trip the next day back to your instructor is very different to pattering it three weeks later!

Above all - enjoy it!