PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hovering Downwind
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2005, 16:51
GLSNightPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Control movement is certainly an issue. If you're trying to take off from an offshore platform at max weight, no wind, and 90+ degrees, you have to be very smooth. Any movement of the controls results in loss of lift, and can be seen and felt immediately, and I've seen pilots who were rough on the controls have to drop a passenger or two in order to get off. But after 35 years of flying, and something over 25,000 takeoffs, close to half of them from offshore platforms at max gross, I've learned to tell when the controls are being moved too much, and I see the effects of wind, from all angles, even if the pilot is being as smooth as possible. Anecdotal evidence points to high fuselage drag and high TR demand, but I have no actual empirical evidence to prove it. And it's not just crosswind, it's tailwind also which has an effect, albeit somewhat lower. Light winds have little effect, but higher winds have increasing effects. Given a 30+kt wind, I can hover a 206 with my feet on the floor, and it will never turn from the wind at all, even with the torque in the yellow. I've done it. The weathervaning tendency is very high, and doesn't like turning from the wind. Most models react similarly, although not all to the same extent. The main rotor may not know where the wind is, but the fuselage certainly does.