PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle Aero Club
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2005, 13:21
Mu Beta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newcastle Aero Club Article

Thought it might be easier for some to just copy the article...

An Australian tycoon is today set to find out whether he has been successful in his bid to take over the troubled Newcastle Aero Club.
Flying school owner Elia Golfin, 31, faces an anxious wait to hear from Jesmond-based accountants RMT to see if he can take over the 79-year-old club, which was plunged into administration last month.
Mr Golfin, a former commercial pilot who runs two flying schools in Datona, Florida, said last night he was "very confident" his bid would be accepted and expects to be in the North-East at the end of the week to tie up any loose ends.
More than 500 members of the club, based at Newcastle Airport, have been demanding to know what will happen to the club, which has debts of more than £200,000.

Airport bosses impounded the club's planes because of unpaid landing fees, which at one point totalled more than £50,000. In addition, the Inland Revenue is also owed around £20,000. Unpaid fuel charges amount to around £50,000 and mortgages on planes total £80,000.
Many members blame the former committee which presided over the club's descent from a financially healthy state to administration. In the last few days, rumours have been circling about two well known local businessmen bidding to take over the club - one to turn it into a bar and the other into a home for his private jets.
But Mr Golfin believes his is the most attractive offer as he plans to keep the club for its members and will take over all of the assets.
The businessman learned of the state of the club from 16-year-old Mark Wright, of Stanley, County Durham, who pleaded for Mr Golfin to take over when he went to America for flying lessons.
Mr Golfin said: "The last two or three weeks have been a bit frustrating, because I have had my offer ready but I suppose it was not a good time with Christmas and New Year. But at the same time it is really exciting, knowing that I could be hours away from taking over. I have sent RMT a detailed offer and proposal and we are waiting to hear from them tomorrow - I am very confident about it. I know all about the other offers from the local guys, and I suppose I am at a bit of a disadvantage because they are on site. But I'm going to buy all of the assets as well as the club, and I have the best interests of the club at heart which I believe the administrators will take into consideration."
By Daniel Cochlin
Newcastle Journal