PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind approach
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2005, 20:26
Skeeter Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jellycopter
Thanks for your reply. My instructor taught me to maintain an indicated airspeed to help lessen the chance of entering vortex ring, which at 1000' is not the end of the world but at the end of an approach could possibly ruin the day. I suppose so long as I am happy with the exciting bit at the end it's ok. I can't ask him for his comments as sadly he is no longer with us and there are no current instructors on type. It's an ex. Army machine so apart from my friend (not ex. mil.) who is the only other person current on type, all the people that flew the type for a living have not been current for about 35 to 40 years.

[email protected]
We know the fuselage wants to weathercock into wind and pedal is required to hold it out of wind - in your aircraft the right pedal required to combat a left crosswind would mean you would reach your power limit sooner than if you were using left pedal to combat a right crosswind.
I see exactly what you mean. I suppose it's a "what's best for what type" thing. My machine has no verticle stabaliser (as a matter of fact it has no horizontal either) so the want to weathercock is less. It also has a large diameter tail rotor (6 feet) for a small machine so when you off load it right at the very end when you need it you get a very comforting surge of power. Possibly these two things combined make it the best idea to keep the wind on the left.

many thanks.