PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hovering Downwind
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2005, 06:26
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, as I said above, my experience is different. With a 20kt+ wind from the left, a nd a moderate load, sea level, OAT about 70F or so, many times, I've struggled to get to a high hover, with the torque at or above 90%, and then when high enough to clear the TR obstacles, turned 90 degrees left (which was very easy to do!) and as soon as the nose was within 30 degrees or so of the wind, went to an immediate 1000'/min climb, without any increase in power, from what had been a hover with little or no climb. This effect is more noticeable in a 412, but it's also present in the 76 to some extent. The 412 obviously has more fuselage drag when presented sideways to the wind, and that may account for all of what I've seen, but I'm not sure. I don't claim to know exactly why this happens, but it certainly does. I'm seldom in a level, obstacle-free environment when this happens, because flying from a large airport is a rarity. It's usually on a tanker or a drilling rig with the heliport in a bad location.