PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - where to go from here???????
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2005, 15:00
birdlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil where to go from here???????

Hello ALL

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a few quick questions for those with more experience then myself. I have a JAA PPL which I completed a year ago here in SA at FTC. Unfortunately, as Im sure most of you are aware, they no longer exist. I decided to go back to Ireland, to earn some dosh and finish my licence over there. I lasted three months. I realised that it was just prohibitvely expensive, weather is sh!te, and the training is better here in SA. So after only three months, came back to SA. I never thought in a million years that I would decide to settle here in SA but its the place to be. I think once africa gets into the blood it never leaves. I know face the dilema of where to do my CPL. I would like to stay in Johannesburg cause, sad I know, my parents live here so I know I would at least have a roof over my head (wouldnt have to worry about the expense of rent and food). Where to go though in Jhb for CPL? Have considered Lanseria Flight Centre (not a chance as did some flying with them for my SA PPL and wasnt impressed), Wits Flying Club (Lanseria), Superior Pilot Services (FAGC), Central Flying Academy (CFA) and Avex. Avex's notes for the CPL look rather good but dont know much about their reputation. I have done some flying with Superior Pilot Services, and was very impressed only problem is they dont have any of their own aircraft at the moment so they are using Avex's. Wits flying club has very cheap aircraft rental but also dont know much about their reputation and dont know what their aircraft are like. If necessary, I would go somewhere other than JHB but would prefer to stay here. Any suggestions or comments on schools I have mentioned or not mentioned? I have heard mixed reports on 43 and Progress.

Once my CPL is out of the way, I would love to either to do my instructors rating or if possible try and find some charter work. I heard Maun in Bots is willing to hire low hour pilots with a type rating? As Im not South African what are my chances of actually getting a work permit or even permanent residency.Has anyone out there had experience with this? If I decide to do my instructors rating where is the best place to do it and where am I most likely to get a job?

So many questions ...... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks
BL