PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay - fear culture = safety culture?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2005, 06:33
spannersatcx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

a solution has been devised by aircraft maker Boeing to prevent heat stress and the failure of engine ducts on its B777-300 aircraft. This modification and revised future inspection procedures are now in place across Cathay Pacific's B777-300 fleet.

Boeing Vice President and General Manager for the 747, 767 and 777 programmes, John Quinlivan, has also given his written affirmation that this modification and procedures for future inspection ensure that any similar event "will not occur again". Mr Quinlivan adds: "Boeing strongly believes ... Cathay Pacific's ability to safely operate and maintain its fleet to the highest standards of safety is well-founded."

At the same time, I would like to bring to your attention a letter received from Professor Riti Singh, a world expert on aircraft engines based at Cranfield University in the UK, in which he refers to the "unrealistic reporting on the integrity of Cathay Pacific".

Prof Singh states that press reports of engines "exploding" are "a gross distortion of the facts and unnecessarily alarm the flying public". And continues: "Even in the most severe circumstances, which I understand these events were not, any debris must be contained within the engine envelope to ensure that they do not hazard the aircraft ... I am totally confident in the integrity of both Cathay Pacific and the engines it uses."

I sincerely hope that they reinforce statements made by the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department that Cathay Pacific has been totally professional in maintaining the highest possible aircraft safety standards and forthright in its reporting and handling of incidents that have caused recent concern.

Cathay Pacific is proud of its reputation for maintaining the highest maintenance and engineering standards in the industry. The complete safety of our passengers and crew is, and remains, our overriding priority.
The D duct failure was due to design and operating environment.

By the way it's presently 87 a/c not 70 (not including LD), you really must learn more about the airline you work for!

It's not self proclaimed about our high standards, it's from people outside far more cleverer than me! Of course no other airline self proclaimed to be the worlds favourite did they!

Most airlines I know and have worked for have MADD so what's new there!

Baywatcher and Hangin' on thanking you for your kind words, nice to know somebody likes me!!

Hope you all have a good new year and a prosperous one. I guess this will drag on and on as it doesn't seem we'll ever be in agreement, excepting that we are the best