PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of T/R on slippery Runway
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2005, 05:58
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
That is very good advice about tail-mounted engines. As for other winter problems, tonight, the husband of my wife's friend told me about freezing rain at a Canadian airport many years ago. They were stopped in their beautiful Eastern DC-9 ( ) and the 25-30 knot wind pushed them several feet on the taxiway. Have no idea what they were told about braking when they taxied out. The Captain turned to the FO (my acquaintance) and said "What do you think?". The FO said "Let's go back to the hotel". They later could clearly see painted shapes on the concrete through a few inches of clear ice.

Several years ago, a guy in my Captain class said that during his IOE, he turned slowly off the 'provincial' runway in Michigan or Wisconsin, but told the Check Airman "I got no brakes!!!". The C.A. pulled both reversers up into max reverse and they had to get both engines inspeceted, but the airplane stayed on the taxiway. Only the runway had been de-iced.

Sometimes airport crews throw sand on a slippery runway and use nothing else (i.e. Grand Forks, ND years ago; the Captain had no experience with tail-mounted engines)! When they do spray chemicals on the runway, many turnoff places and taxiways are never sprayed! I saw the two airline 737s off the taxiways years ago in Tulsa. My captain read this in the NOTAMS, and although it delayed us a while, called the TUL tower controller and refused to depart here until another jet landed and gave a braking report to the TUL tower. After we cleared the active, he taxied much slower than anyone else in my life (slower than a golf cart with four fat [..US..] guys near the green) , but it kept us on the taxiways to the gate.
Delays or speed get you into trouble or serious danger if you become 'mission-oriented' all the time.