PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser injures Delta pilot's eye
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2004, 21:55
LatviaCalling

Still behind the curtain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The following is a message I received from a professional photographer friend regarding the laser threat:
---
What concerns investigators is the apparent ability of the "Laser Dudes" to TRACK the cockpits, over a period of several seconds, and to "wash," or mechanically oscillate the beam into a wide-coverage pattern of the cockpits with the laser beam.

As a matter of personal perspective, as a photographer... if you were to attempt to track a landing aircraft with a camera, and a 400mm telephoto lens, you could not hold the camera/lens steady enough, without some mechanical support, to follow the aircraft smoothly.

Motion Picture cameramen, and still photographers who specialize in aviation, use fluid-damped tripod heads, very big and very expensive, and shoot a LOT to edit out a small amount of footage, or a few sharp, well-composed frames.

It is clear that these events are NOT some overweight, freckle-faced, red-headed 16-year-old kid with a laser pointer. Whoever it is has sophisticated equipment.

Minimally, it would have to be a heavy-duty tripod with a fluid head, and probably a computer controlled platform.

More evidence for computer-control is the "washing" of the cockpits. This requires a C-C platform, and the same sort of software that moves the lasers used in Laser Light shows, in dance clubs and at public events, as it has to vary the "aim" of a single small-diameter beam around the target area at
many times per second.

Finally, the reports include that not all these Laser Events are red
lasers. Some are reported as blue-green.

I have not seen a blue-green laser pointer, although I would happily be corrected on this matter by anyone who uses these things regularly.