PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MyTravel finally in the clear.
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2004, 13:15
U/S President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alberts Growbagright: “now MyTravel have won a right to survive that they don't deserve”

MyTravel has got the chance to survive because the banks did their financially pragmatic assessment and decided they stood to gain more by taking 88% of the company than by having it wound up and picking over the remains. I don’t see how this is ‘undeserved’ or ‘deserved’ - it’s just the reality of how the banks saw it.

Alberts Growbagright: “it suited St Tony (Blair) to keep you in business”

As for the Daily Mail-fuelled rumour that the Government interfered with the CAA’s assessments of MyTravel’s finances, get over it. The regular meetings between the CAA and MyTravel also included the most important parties in this: the banks. The CAA was content to let MyTravel continue trading, whilst it sorted out it finances, only because the banks supported the process 100%. No amount of pressure from Tony Blair (and I personally don’t believe he tried to exert any) would have been enough if MyTravel hadn’t had the financial backing of its lenders and met the targets the banks were setting. Don’t let the fact that you’re anti-Blair cloud the facts.

Alberts Growbagright: “spare a thought for those that have bolted to the life boats”

Those that deserted MyTravel presumably left for other jobs, not to live on the streets. If they voluntarily left for worse jobs, because they thought MyTravel was going under, then I guess it didn’t work out the way they anticipated - but they not exactly hard-done-by compared to those who stayed and helped and were then made redundant.