PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Academic Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2004, 10:18
Sensible

Flies for fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The three overridingly most important factors for securing a job are presentation, presentation and presentation.

Presentation: A good well prepared clearly written application free of grammatical and spelling errors. (Followed up by the ability to actually write and spell properly at the interview) An application form which looks like a demented spider has crawled through ink then across the form just won't do! Flying is a precise science and a prospective employer is easily going to be persuaded to look at another's application if yours isn't precisely set out. I have personally discarded application forms submitted to me purely on the basis that they are too difficult to read!

Presentation: Clear verbal communication. The people doing the selections will probably be life experienced people like B Eagle who cringe at “Yeh Right" and "Cool" interjections (fraud I'm in that category too). The selectors will undoubtedly looking for somebody who fills the image that the company wants to promote to its customers.

Presentation: Smart clothing, it’s not a fashion parade, forget the hair gel and tinted glasses.

Now back to qualifications, in my view "suitable" qualifications are very important but after that I'm really not sure that extra qualifications are either a particular advantage or disadvantage. Certainly I've heard some candidates claim that they were "over qualified" for the job as a face saving exercise having failed to secure the job against less qualified competition