PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Academic Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2004, 08:22
Bear 555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Morning all,

Two points generally following the thread, if I may.

1. Qualifications. I have come across several situations over the past few years where a Degree is 'required' for a number of positions in various companies. What is often not written is that relevant experience or other qualifications will be usually be considered. Typically this is benefits 'mature' candidates (such as myself) much more than our young friends joining the workforce.

As one who sits on various recruitment processes I always try and balance four things :-

formal qualifications, relevant qualifications, life experience and relevant experience.

2. I completely agree that standards of spelling and grammar from younger applicants can be shocking. My own motley collection of teenagers (15 & 16) manage to give me stress attacks when I look over anything they have written by hand for school or college.

Now they are close to considering applications for further education or even employment I am sad to reflect that I would reject instantly any application form which arrived for my attention looking like it had been completed by a 4 year old with a Crayola complex.

The solution here is to work at handwriting - painful I know. Even handwriting letters or a structured diary entry can help.

Ok, rant over - I hope this helps someone out there.

regards,

Bear 555