PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Academic Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2004, 06:32
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 169 Likes on 65 Posts
In the real world I am a spelling and grammar Nazi. In cyberspace (how 90's is that sounding) I'm quite sloppy. Its one of the freedoms of the medium. Nobody is ever going to treat a CV and covering letter in the same way they approach a posting on an anon bulletin board.

Nevertheless, Raptor makes a valid point. I used to work as a recruitment officer hiring workers, apprentices and undergraduate sponsorship applicants. You really would be staggered by the dogs breakfast of written communication that I would receive. It may have been a little harsh but I would simply bin the worst examples.

MS Word Grammar and Spellcheck are Not Enough! Get someone older and wiser to checkl important letters and CV's for you before you send them to potential employers. Prior to the 70's schools actually taught grammar. Then I believe it became unfashionable. I know that I was able to get an A-level English Grade 'A' in 1992 with an atrociously basic grasp of grammatical structure and rules.

"Eats, Shoots and Leaves" should be compulsory reading for anyone under the age of 35 who underwent a State education....

Cheers