PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of T/R on slippery Runway
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2004, 17:24
Miles Magister

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
HD

I would recomend the use of symetrical reverse thrust only as using it for steering can get you in all sorts of trouble. If you do not practice it you could easilly end up worst off especially as the anticipation required for spool up times will be really tricky to manage.

I have tried aerodynamic breaking in several diferent aircraft and I think all it does is reduce your control of the aircraft especially as you run out of elevator control at the lower speeds. You are much better off landing normally.

If you are slipping sideways then I feel that gentle breaking and symetrical reverse thrust are th emost suitable. You will often find that once you have deviated from the centre line the friction will vary and you will regain control. It is often water on ice or rubber which causes the problem and the "fresh" ice or snow off the centre line may offer better control.

There is an article on the issue in the December issue of Business and Comercial Aviation, but I can not find a link to it online.

If you PM me I will look for more specific information on the Bravo when I return to work after the New Year break.

If in doubt about breaking action, then there is no doubt!

MM