PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe - returns cheaper than one way?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2004, 12:11
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flybe - returns cheaper than one way?

Looking into flights up to Scotland for New Year from Birmingham, Flybe had a fare for £31 out to Edinburgh, and the same going back, but when I tried to book it as two separate legs (had the possibility of a lift back from Edinburgh, but otherwise would have preferred to fly back from Glasgow), it was quoting £71 for the same outbound flight. I know no-frills airlines like to offer tempting outbound fares to European destinations, with the return leg often being much more expensive, but are Flybe the only ones to play the trick of charging significantly more if you try and book in just one direction? I thought this sort of pricing was only still used by the dinosaur airlines and train companies?

At least these prices are much lower than the same time last year, when they were £100+ each way, excluding taxes. Would this be down to the efficiencies gained by operating Q400's on this route, or are they gearing up for competition from baby - even BA had a fare of £120 return, including taxes.

Also, will anyone ever lay on a bus between Edinburgh airport and Glasgow. There must be enough routes available from Edinburgh which are different to Glasgow's offerings (if I can say so without starting another EDI v GLA war!), combined with people wanting to visit both cities, but being unable to get an open jaw type booking, or simply people taking advantage of times when prices at Edinburgh are lower. I know it is often the other way round, but there has always been a bus service from Edinburgh to Glasgow airport, but not vice versa, despite Edinburgh airport being between the two cities. I know they're planning on building a rail interchange under the terminal, and I know you can change to City Link at the Maybury roundabout, just wondering if any bus company had looked at putting a service on?